Accessing Electronic Court Records Using the Odyssey Portal

Access to electronic court records in courts where eFiling is available is through the Odyssey Portal. Parties in a case and attorneys of record may request elevated access to their filings.

Go to Odyssey Portal

How to search for an electronic court record

Portal users may search for a record by entering a party name or case record number (e.g., docket number or traffic citation number) after clicking on the "Smart Search" button on the Portal start page. If there are electronic record(s) that match the search criteria entered, the system will display a list of the case record(s) for you to select from. Once a record is selected, the system will display the Registry of Actions (ROA)(formerly called the case docket sheet) for the case. Additional court records are viewable via the Portal as provided in the Maine Rules of Electronic Court Systems (RECS).

Users may search for and view records with or without registering for a Portal account. There is no cost for registering for an account.

Document Charges

Court documents available through the Odyssey Portal are available for download and purchase. The cost is $1 per page. There is no document charge for parties and attorneys of record who have registered for "elevated access" to their cases.

eFileMaine filers

Parties, attorneys, and other eFileMaine users must access filings other than their own filings through the Portal. Parties and attorneys of record must have "elevated access" to view all filings in their cases. See how to request elevated access.

Maine Rules of Electronic Court Systems (RECS)

Access to electronic court records is governed by the Maine Rules of Electronic Court Systems (RECS). RECS "weigh[es] the importance of both public access and protection of privacy in court records in the context of an electronic case management and filing system" and creates three broad categories of access:

  • Records accessible by the public remotely;
  • Records accessible by the public only at a courthouse where eFiling is available; and
  • Records accessible only by parties, attorneys of record, and other case participants.

RECS provides that certain information, data, documents, and cases are "nonpublic" (restricted from public access).

What court records are accessible remotely?

Currently, the following court records may be searched for and viewed remotely:

  • Traffic tickets (citations) (statewide)
  • The Registry of Actions (ROA) and additional court records for many types of civil cases (in the Bangor District Court, Penobscot Superior Court, and the statewide Business & Consumer Docket), including:
    • Business and Consumer Docket cases;
    • Personal injury tort;
    • Non-personal injury tort;
    • Contract;
    • Declaratory or equitable relief;
    • Constitutional/civil rights;
    • Title to real estate and related proceedings;
    • 80B/80C appeals and other civil appeals;
    • Money judgments; and
    • After judgment, if the plaintiff prevailed, in Forcible Entry and Detainer (FED or eviction), small claims, and foreclosure cases.

As eFiling is expanded to additional case types, access will be available for the following types of cases as provided by RECS:

  • Criminal;
  • Juvenile;
  • Protection from abuse and protection from harassment; and
  • Civil violation cases.

What court records are only accessible at a courthouse?

Court records that are not otherwise deemed nonpublic pursuant to RECS, are accessible at a courthouse where eFiling is available via a Public Access Computer (PAC) for the following types of cases:

  • Divorce, annulment, or judicial separation;
  • Parental rights and responsibilities cases, including the establishment or enforcement of a child support obligation;
  • Establishment of parentage;
  • Grandparent or great-grandparent visitation;
  • Protection from abuse and protection from harassment (when eFiling is available for these case types);
  • Forcible entry and detainer (FED or eviction) (before entry of judgment);
  • Foreclosure (before entry of judgment); and
  • Small claims (before entry of judgment).

Legacy cases

Court records for closed or inactive cases (sometimes called "legacy cases") are not available as electronic records except in traffic cases. A request may be made for a court record by contacting the clerk's office in the court where the case was handled. See also the Request for Records Search instructions and form.