ADA Accessibility FAQs

If the answer to your question isn't here, ask a court clerk or contact the Judicial Branch Court Access Coordinator.

1. How do I ask for a disability accommodation for court?
The form, and instructions on how to complete are available on the Request an Accommodation web page or the clerk's office at any courthouse can provide you with a paper copy of the Disability Accommodation Request Form to fill out and submit.

2. Can someone help me to fill out the Disability Accommodation Request Form?  
Yes. If a person with a disability has difficulty completing the written Disability Accommodation Request Form, accommodations can be requested by contacting the Court Access Coordinator.

3. How can I find where a courthouse's accessible entrance and parking is located?
Information on accessible entrances and parking at all Maine state courthouse facilities may be found on the court directories web pages. See District Court or Superior Court and select your court.

4. I have a temporary injury or condition that limits me. Am I entitled to a disability accommodation?
If a temporary condition or injury limits a major life activity such as seeing, hearing, walking, standing, or speaking, it may be considered a disability for which a reasonable accommodation may be requested. The Judicial Branch is committed to full, meaningful, and fair access to justice in the Maine state courts and will strive to accommodate all functional abilities within reason.

5. Can I get a disability accommodation in order to serve on a jury?
Yes. People with disabilities are encouraged to serve as jurors and are not automatically excused from jury service. You may request an accommodation by submitting the Disability Accommodation Request Form, writing your request on the juror questionnaire, contacting the clerk’s office, or contacting the Court Access Coordinator.

6. What help is available for people with hearing impairments?
Examples of reasonable accommodations include: (1) court-provided Assistive Listening Devices; (2) Personal Amplification Devices; (3) Communication Access Real-Time Translation or real-time captioning (CART); or (4) an ASL Interpreter. Video Remote ASL Interpreting is available in a limited number of clerks' offices. The clerk's office will be able to tell you if Video Remote ASL Interpreting is available at your court.

7. What assistance is available for people with vision impairments?
Examples of reasonable accommodations for people who are blind or have low vision include: (1) court-provided information in alternative formats, such as in large-print, Braille, digital or audio, or (2) other reasonable accommodations arranged through the Court Access Coordinator.

8. Will the court provide me with a wheelchair or certain other items?
No. Courts and other public entities are not required to provide individuals with disabilities with personal or individually prescribed devices, such as wheelchairs, prescription eyeglasses, or hearing aids, or to provide services of a personal nature, such as assistance in eating, toileting, or dressing.

9. I have a mental impairment that limits me. Will the court provide me with an attorney or legal advice in my civil matter?
No. The courts are not required to provide attorneys or legal advice in response to a request for a reasonable accommodation. If you need an attorney or legal advice, the clerk’s office may have information on what is available in your area, or see Find Legal Help page on the Judicial Branch website.

10. If I need assistance that the courts do not provide, who can I contact?
211 Maine may be able to help you locate additional help. 211 is a free, confidential information and referral service that connects people of all ages across Maine to local services. 211 Maine is based in Maine and available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Dial 211 toll-free, send a text or email, or go to for a variety of services and programs, including employment supports, community meals, respite care, home health care, transportation, and homemaker services.

11. Do I have to submit medical proof of my disability?
Not at first for most reasonable accommodations. The court or the Court Access Coordinator may ask for more information if needed to make a decision on your accommodation request.

12. Can I bring an animal or pet into a court facility?
Sorry, but pets and emotional support, comfort and/or therapy animals are not permitted. A service animal (a dog, and in some cases, a miniature horse) that has been trained to do work or perform tasks for a person with a disability is allowed and welcome. A dog providing comfort, therapy, or emotional support may be permitted to accompany a witness or party into court if allowed by the presiding justice or judge. Requests to enter a courthouse with a comfort, therapy, or emotional support dog must be made before going to court by contacting the Court Access Coordinator.

13. What do I do if I disagree with the Judicial Branch’s response to my request for a disability accommodation?
Anyone who disagrees with a decision about their disability accommodation request may ask for a review of the decision. The clerk's office has information on how to submit a grievance or ask a court to review a decision denying a reasonable accommodation.


Court Access Coordinator
Administrative Office of the Courts
P.O. Box 4820
Portland, Maine 04112

Telephone: (207) 822-0718
Fax: (207) 776-6096
TYY: Maine Relay 711


This information is not intended to be a complete or full statement of the state and federal laws governing persons with disabilities and is not intended to be, or to substitute for, legal advice.