Protection from Violence
Click here if you are seeking help because another person is hurting you, or is threatening to hurt you.
All media inquires regarding State of Maine Department of Health and Human Services v. Kaci Hickox should be directed to Mary Ann Lynch, Government & Media Counsel. Ms. Lynch may be reached at (207) 592-5940 or via email Mary.Ann.Lynch@courts.maine.gov. Please do not call any local courthouses.
- October 16, 2014: Supreme Judicial Court issues amendments to court rules on probate procedure, appellate procedure, the Maine Assistance Program for Lawyers, civil procedure, professional conduct, and bar admissions.
- October 15, 2014: Supreme Judicial Court invites comments on a proposed repeal and replacement of Rule 76H of the Maine Rules of Civil Procedure, regarding electronic sound recording of court proceedings. Comments due by November 5, 2014.
- October 10, 2014: Supreme Judicial Court to hold public hearing on November 13, 2014, at 10:00 a.m., regarding the Report of the Family Division Task Force; the proposed repeal and replacement of the Maine Rules for Guardians Ad Litem; and the proposed repeal and replacement of the Maine Bar Rules.
- October 10, 2014: Millinocket District Court closed until further notice.
- October 3, 2014: Supreme Judicial Court Recognizes Maine Attorneys and Law Students For Legal Aid to the Elderly and the Needy.
- October 3, 2014: The Maine Judicial Branch will be expanding its records check pilot program to Penobscot and Piscataquis Counties. Beginning on October 15, 2014 new procedures regarding the processing of record searches will be in place. The remaining courts in the State will be incrementally brought into the pilot throughout the remainder of the year.
- September 26, 2014: Supreme Judicial Court to Hold Court at High Schools in Lincoln, Presque Isle, and Yarmouth in October.
- September 1, 2014: The Maine Judicial Branch expands a pilot program in York County to include Springvale District Courty and York County Superior Court, with new procedures regarding the processing of record searches. The remaining courts in the State will be incrementally brought into the pilot throughout the remainder of the year.
- August 20, 2014: Supreme Judicial Court adopts amendment to the Maine Rules for the Maine Assistance Program for Lawyers, regarding University of Maine School of Law students and applicants to the Maine Bar.
- August 18, 2014: Portrait unveiling of Judge Marilyn Stavros in Biddeford District Court on Tuesday, August 19, 2014 at 3:30 p.m.
- August 1, 2014: Maine Court Issues New Scam Warning
- July 1, 2014: The Maine Judicial Branch will launch a pilot program in the York County Superior Court, to begin implementing new procedures regarding the processing of record searches. The remaining courts in the State will be incrementally brought into the pilot throughout the remainder of the year
- June 24, 2014: Supreme Judicial Court adopts amendments to court rules:
- Amendments to Maine Rules of Appellate Procedure, establishing a track for certain appeals in which briefing is expedited.
- Amendments to the Maine Bar Admission Rules governing reciprocal admission for attorneys admitted in other states.
- Amendments to the Maine Rules of Professional Conduct regarding advance and nonrefundable fees and retainers.
- Amendments to the Maine Rules of Civil Procedure establishing an expedited track and making amendments regarding post-judgment motions and appeals from government action.
- Amendments to the foreclosure provisions of the Maine Rules of Civil Procedure.
- Amendments to the Maine Rules of Civil Procedure to establish specialized procedures for the Business and Consumer Docket.
- June 13, 2014: Supreme Judicial Court to Hold Court at High Schools in Lincoln, Presque Isle, and Yarmouth in Fall 2014
- April 25, 2014: Oath Administration and Robing Ceremony for Maine's New Judges - Friday, May 2, 2014, Kennebec County Courthouse
- April 22, 2014: Judge Jeffrey Moskowitz Named Deputy Chief Judge of the Maine District Court
- February 24, 2014: State of Judiciary scheduled for Tuesday, February 25, 2014 at 11:00 a.m.
- February 19, 2014: FDP Announces Release of Annual Report
- February 10, 2014: Judicial Branch Court Interpreter Program Update
- January 24, 2014: Maine Court Issues Phone Scam Warning
- January 23, 2014: Family Division Task Force Charter 2013
- January 14, 2014: Maine Courts to Honor Court Interpreters
- January 11, 2014: MEDIA ADVISORY. An email scam alleging "illegal software use" has been reported in other states that says recipients are expected or ordered to appear in an unspecified state court. Anyone receiving such an email in Maine should not open any attachments or click on links in the emails. A notice about upcoming court appearances in Maine would not be given to state residents in this manner. In other states, these emails have impersonated the domain names of well known national law firms and may contain an attachment, supposedly a court notice or summons, or may contain a link to a website. Some reports say that the attachment or link may download a virus onto the user's computer or device. Maine people should know that they are never summonsed to court via an email.
The Judicial Branch is now on Twitter. To follow #MECourts, click here.
From the Chief Justice