Access to Justice Tax Credit Committee
Type: Standing Committee
Established: May 23, 2022
Chair: Judith Fletcher Woodbury, Esq.
Report date: Annually
Reports to: Maine Supreme Judicial Court
The Standing Committee is to assist and advise the Foundation in the selection of attorneys to receive the Access to Justice Tax Credit established by the Maine legislature in 2021 by the enactment of 36 M.R.S. Section 5219‑ZZ.
Pursuant to the prerogative established in 36 M.R.S. Section 5219‑ZZ(1)(a), The Maine Supreme Court has designated the Maine Justice Foundation to certify up to five qualified attorneys for participation in the Access to Justice Tax Credit program. The standing committee is to assist and advise the Foundation in administering the tax credit program. The Foundation retains the ultimate authority to certify attorneys to receive the income tax credit.
The committee shall consist of members appointed by the Foundation, including but not limited to:
1. A representative of the Maine Justice Foundation, who shall serve as Chair.
2. A representative of the Maine State Bar Association; and
3. A representative of the Maine Trial Lawyers Association.
1. No later than May 31, 2022, the committee shall propose the application procedure for the Access to Justice Tax Credit,
including the application format and required supporting documentation.
2. No later than June 30, 2022, the Committee shall propose the procedure for selecting qualified applicants, including the process for vetting qualified applicants and the selection criteria.
3. No later than July 26, 2022, the committee shall submit to the Foundation the names of up to five qualified applicants recommended to receive the Access to Justice Tax Credit.
The Foundation shall report to the Supreme Court the names of the five attorney-designees for the Access to Justice Tax Credit:
1. On August 1, 2022, for the year 2022.
2. On December1, 2023, for the year 2023.
3. On December1, 2024, for the year 2024.
4. On December1, 2025 for the year 2025.
5. On December 1, 2026, for the year 2026; and
6. On December1, 2027, for the year 2027.
The Access to Justice Tax Credit is scheduled to expire in 2027, unless another date is specified by the legislature.
The committee shall meet or communicate as directed by the Chair.
The committee shall cease existence at such time as the Access to Justice Tax Credit expires or as otherwise directed by the Foundation.
VIII. Liaison With The Maine Supreme Court
Associate Justice Andrew M. Mead shall serve as liaison to the Foundation.
Dated: May 23, 2022
Chief Justice Valerie Stanfill
Maine Supreme Judicial Court
Updated May 23, 2022
Terms Expire December 31, 2027
Judith Fletcher Woodbury, Esq. (Chair)
Maine Justice Foundation
Frank Bishop, Jr., Esq.
Maine State Bar Association
Stacy O. Stitham, Esq.
Maine State Bar Association
Daniel J. Mitchell, Esq.
Maine Trial Lawyers Association
Judicial Liaison: Hon. Andrew M. Mead, Maine Supreme Judicial Court