NOTE ALL DOCUMENTS ON THIS PAGE ARE IN PDF FORMAT. THE HYPERLINKS IN THE PDF DOCUMENTS DO NOT FUNCTION.
All of the files below require the free Adobe Reader.
ON THIS PAGE:
- Proposed and recommended rule amendments
- Recent rule amendments and orders regarding rules
- Procedural rules
- Rules governing judges, lawyers, and guardians ad litem
- Other guides
(Updated August 1, 2018)
July 26, 2018: The Maine Supreme Judicial Court will hold a public hearing at 1:30 p.m. on Tuesday, October 23, 2018, at the Cumberland County Courthouse in Portland, in Courtroom 12, to receive oral comments regarding a proposed amendment to the Maine Rules of Professional Conduct to prohibit harassment and discrimination.
|Rule Set Adopted or Amended||Rule Nos. Adopted or Amended||Subject|
|8/8/18||9/1/18||2018 Me. Rules 16||Civil||7(e)||Time for replies to oppositions to motions.|
|8/1/18||7/1/18||2018 Me. Rules 15||Civil||4(d)(1)||Service of process|
|8/1/18||7/18/18||2018 Me. Rules 14||Bar||19(b)||Dissemination of disciplinary information|
|7/19/18||1/1/19||2018 Me. Rules 13||Probate||12(a)(2); 92.2(j), (l), (m); 92.3(b); 92.4(b); 92.9(b)||Challenges to probate of wills; efiling by unrepresented parties; efiling of testamentary documents; method of payment of fees for efiling documents|
|7/19/18||7/18/18||2018 Me. Rules 12
|Bar||5(a)||Continuing legal education on avoiding harassment and discrimination|
|7/19/18||8/20/18||2018 Me. Rules 11||Civil||80F(p)||Public access to Violations Bureau court records|
|7/12/18||7/11/18||2018 Me. Rules 10||Civil||14(a)||Service of notice regarding electronic sevice in third-party practice|
|7/1/18||8/1/18||2018 Me. Rules 09||Evidence||801(d); 803(6)||Hearsay: prior consistent statement and business records.|
|7/1/18||7/1/18||2018 Me. Rules 08||Civil||3,4,5,11,101||Electronic service of documents among attorneys and unrepresented parties who opt in|
|6/14/18||8/20/18||2018 Me. Rules 07
Revised 8/8/18 with new effective date.
|Civil||80F||Timing of filing and response to traffic infraction summonses.|
|5/28/18||6/1/18||2018 Me. Rules 06||Appellate||8(e)(6)||Mandatory contents of appendix in family-related matters|
|4/25/18||4/23/18||2018 Me. Rules 05||Professional Conduct||1.10||Conflict of interest when lawyers change firms|
|4/25/18||4/23/18||2018 Me. Rules 04||Bar||7(e)(9)||Recording of Fee Arbitration Commission proceedings|
|4/23/18||5/1/18||2018 Me. Rules 03||Appellate||2A(d); 5(b); 23(b)(1)(B)||Online ordering oftranscripts; length of petitions for appellate review in workers' compensation appeals|
|2/16/18||2/14/18||2018 Me. Rules 02||Civil||30(b)(4)||Recording of depositions|
|1/23/18||1/31/18||2018 Me. Rules 01||Guardians ad litem||5(k), (l)||Billing standards; compliance reports|
|10/19/17||10/18/17||2017 Me. Rules 10||Civil||80F||Changes to allow use of electronic filing of violation summons and complaint|
|9/15/17||9-5-17||2017 Me. Rules 09||Judicial Conduct||4.1(A)||Political conduct of incumbent judges and judicial candidates|
|7/6/17||9/1/17||2017 Me. Rules 08||Appellate||19(d)-(k)||Correction of subdivision lettering and numbering|
|6/13/17||9/1/17||2017 Me. Rules 07||Appellate||Entire set||Restyled Maine Rules of Appellate Procedure|
|6/13/17||6/5/17||2017 Me. Rules 06||Bar||13(e)(7)(D); 25||Non-disciplinary sanctions by agreement|
|6/2/17||5/30/17||2017 Me. Rules 05||Civil||77(c)||Designation of hours of operation of clerks' offices|
(Updated August 1, 2018)
- Maine Rules of Civil Procedure:
- Maine Rules of Unified Criminal Procedure
- Maine Rules of Evidence
- Maine Rules of Appellate Procedure
- Restyled Rules only--no advisory notes (May 2018). These rules apply to appeals filed on or after September 1, 2017. For the former rules, see the 2016 court rules publication by Tower Publishing.
- Restyled Rules complete with advisory notes (May 2018). These rules apply to appeals filed on or after September 1, 2017. For the former rules, see the 2016 court rules publication by Tower Publishing.
(Updated August 1, 2018)
- Rules governing judges:
- Maine Code of Judicial Conduct only (no advisory notes) (September 2017)
- Maine Code of Judicial Conduct complete with advisory notes (September 2017)
- Maine Rules of the Committee on Judicial Responsibility and Disability (January 2015)
- Rules governing lawyers:
- Maine Rules of Professional Conduct (ethical rules):
- Maine Bar Rules:
- Other rules governing lawyers:
- Maine Bar Admission Rules (May 2017)
- Rules for the Maine Assistance Program for Lawyers (November 2014)
- Rules for Lawyers' Fund for Client Protection (September 2013)
- Rules governing guardians ad litem:
- Maine Civil Legal Services Fund Commission (July 2008)
- Checklist for Preparing, Filing, and Maintaining an Appeal Pursuant to the Maine Rules of Appellate Procedure (September 2017)
- Appellate Practice Guide for use with The Maine Rules of Appellate Procedure (restyled, effective September 1, 2017) (September 2017)
- A Guide for Appeals to the Maine Supreme Judicial Court (August 2009). Note: This guide is based on the former rules, applicable to appeals filed before September 1, 2017.
- Maine Law Review: Uniform Maine Citations (2017) -- Uniform Maine Citations, 2016-2017 Edition, provides updated rules for the citation of Maine legal authorities, including judicial decisions, constitutional provisions, statutory and legislative materials, court rules, treatises, periodicals, and miscellaneous Maine authorities.