NOTE ALL DOCUMENTS ON THIS PAGE ARE IN PDF FORMAT. THE HYPERLINKS IN THE PDF DOCUMENTS DO NOT FUNCTION.
All of the files below require the free Adobe Reader.
On this page:
- Proposed and recommended rule amendments
- Recent rule amendments and orders regarding rules
- Criminal rules
- All other rules
- Citations guide
(Updated September 15, 2014)
- Maine Rules of Probate Procedure: Supreme Judicial Court invites comments on proposed amendments to the Maine Rules of Probate Procedure regarding service, fees, forms, and electronic filing. Comments due on or before September 25, 2014.
- Maine Rules of Professional Conduct: September 11, 2014: Supreme Judicial Court invites comments on proposed amendment to the Maine Rules of Professional Conduct regarding representation of a client by the firm of a lawyer who personally participated in the client's matter as an adjudicative officer, law clerk, or third-party neutral. Comments due by September 25, 2014.
- Maine Rules of Evidence: July 23, 2014: Supreme Judicial Court invites comments on a proposed restyling of the Maine Rules of Evidence. Comments due by September 12, 2014.
- Maine Rules of Unified Criminal Procedure: Supreme Judicial Court invites comments on proposed adoption of Maine Rules of Unified Criminal Procedure to govern matters in all Unified Criminal Dockets. Comments due September 12, 2014.
- Maine Bar Rules: The Supreme Judicial Court invites comments on a proposal by the Board of Overseers to repeal and replace the Maine Bar Rules. Comments due by September 12, 2014.
- Rules for guardians ad litem:
- July 16, 2014: The Supreme Judicial Court invites comments on a proposed repeal and replacement of the Maine Rules for Guardians Ad Litem based on the work of the Guardian ad LItem Task Force and the Guardian ad Litem Stakeholders Group. Comments due by September 12, 2014.
- December 10, 2013: Comments received in response to notice of November 13, 2013. (Redacted to remove some personal information, mostly telephone numbers and email addresses):
- November 13, 2013: Notice of Opportunity to Comment on proposed amendments to the Maine Rules for Guardians Ad Litem.
- Final report of the National Center for State Courts, Guardians Ad Litem Appointed to Represent the Best Interest of Children in Maine: Domestic Relations Cases, dated October 2013.
- Letter from Chief Justice Leigh Saufley to Senator Linda Valentino and Representative Charles Priest, dated November 12, 2013.
- August 6, 2013: On behalf of the Maine Supreme Judicial Court, the Chief Justice seeks final recommendations from the Guardian ad Litem Stakeholders Group after receiving a report from the Maine Family Law Advisory Commission.
- July 22, 2013: Family Law Advisory Commission Report to Maine Supreme Judicial Court on Recommendations for Amending the Maine Rules for Guardians ad Litem
- March 6, 2013: Recommendations for Amending the Maine Rules for Guardians Ad Litem--Report to the Supreme Judicial Court by the Guardian Ad Litem Stakeholders Group
|Rule Set Adopted or Amended||Rules Nos. Adopted or Amended||Subject|
|6/24/14||7/1/14||2014 Me. Rules 02||Appellate Procedure||7(b)||Establishment of "Track A" appeals with reduced briefing times.|
|6/24/14||9/1/14||2014 Me. Rules 03||Bar Admission||10(e)(2); 11(d), (e); 11A||Reciprocal admission|
|6/24/14||9/1/14||2014 Me. Rules 04||Professional Conduct||1.0(o), (p); 1.5; 1.15||Advance and nonrefundable fees and retainers|
|6/24/14||9/1/14 or 1/1/15||2014 Me. Rules 05||Civil Procedure||16C; 26; 50; 52; 59; 80B; 81(b)||Expedited track; post-judgment motions; judicial review of gov't actions|
|6/24/14||9/1/14||2014 Me. Rules 06||Civil Procedure||93||Foreclosures|
|6/24/14||9/1/14||2014 Me. Rules 07||Civil Procedure||130-140||Business and Consumer Docket|
|8/20/14||9/1/14||2014 Me. Rules 08||Maine Assistance Program for Lawyers||1; 3; 5; 6||U. Maine School of Law students and applicants to Maine Bar|
|10/15/14||11/1/14||2014 Me. Rules 09||Probate Procedure||4(b), (c); 54A; 84; 92.2 through 92.9||Serivce of process; court fees; forms; electronic filing|
|10/15/14||11/1/14||2014 Me. Rules 10||Appellate Procedure||9(f)||Font size in briefs|
|10/15/14||11/1/14||2014 Me. Rules 11||Maine Assistance Program for Lawyers||9||Corrected references to rules governing attorney ethics|
|10/15/14||11/1/14||2014 Me. Rules 12||Civil Procedure||59(c); 81(b)(2)(D); 93(i)||Affidavits in opposition to motions for new trial; applicability of rules to mental health matters; correction of reference to recently amended rule|
|10/15/14||11/1/14||2014 Me. Rules 13||Professional Conduct||1.12(c)(2)||Conflict of interest--former judge, arbitrator, mediator or other neutral|
|10/15/14||10/14/14||2014 Me. Rules 14||Bar Admission||6(a)||Application fees|
(Updated May 19, 2014)
(NOTE: CRIMINAL RULES ARE DIFFERENT FOR CUMBERLAND AND PENOBSCOT COUNTIES DUE TO THE ESTABLISHMENT OF THE UNIFIED CRIMINAL DOCKET IN THOSE COUNTIES)
- Maine Rules of Criminal Procedure Only (May 6, 2014)
- Maine Rules of Criminal Procedure complete with advisory notes (May 6, 2014)
- Unified Criminal Docket - Cumberland County Local Rules of Procedure (UCD) complete with advisory notes and amendments effective March 2010 (As of July 20, 2010)
- Amendments to JB-08-2 (Cumberland County Unified Criminal Docket) (Eff. March 1, 2010)
- Unified Criminal Docket - Bangor Local Rules of Procedure (Eff. January 4, 2010)
- Maine Rules of Appellate Procedure Only (July 2014)
- Maine Rules of Appellate Procedure complete with advisory notes (July 2014)
- Maine Bar Rules (January 2012)
- Maine Bar Admission Rules (September 2014)
- Maine Civil Legal Services Fund Commission (July 2008)
- Maine Code of Judicial Conduct (May 2013)
- Maine Rules of Civil Procedure only (December 2013)
- Maine Rules of Civil Procedure complete with advisory notes (December 2013)
- Maine Rules of the Committee on Judicial Responsibility and Disability (as of July 2004)
- Maine Rules of Evidence (January 2012)
- Maine Rules of Evidence complete with advisory notes (January 2012)
- Maine Rules of the Family Division of the Maine District Court (Abrogated) (January 2009)
- Maine Rules for Guardians Ad Litem (as of August 2004)
- Maine Rules of Probate Procedure (as of December 2013)
- Maine Rules of Professional Conduct Only (September 2014)
- Maine Rules of Professional Conduct complete with advisory notes (September 2014)
- Maine Rules of Small Claims Procedure (June 2007)
- Rules for Lawyers' Fund for Client Protection (September 2013)
- Rules for the Maine Assistance Program for Lawyers (July 2008)
A Guide for Appeals to the Maine Supreme Judicial Court - Updated August 2009
Uniform Maine Citations, 2013 Edition, provides updated rules for the citation of Maine legal authorities, including judicial decisions, constitutional provisions, statutory and legislative materials, court rules, treatises, periodicals, and miscellaneous Maine authorities.