Procedures Applicable to a Plaintiff in a Protection Case - Where & Cost

Previous | Next

C. Where to Sue.

Go to the District Court where either you or the defendant lives or, in the event you have left your residence to avoid abuse, go to the District Court where your old or new residence is located.

D. Cost.

There is no fee to file a case based on abuse, sexual assault, domestic or dating violence or stalking.

A fee applies if the case is based on harassment that does not involve stalking, sexual assault or domestic or dating violence. Please ask the clerk for the current fee amount. If you cannot afford the fee, you may ask the clerk for the motion to proceed without payment of fees form. There is no charge for forms or to get copies of papers that are filed in a protection case.

Previous | Next