Complaints Involving Guardians Ad Litem (GALs)

Complaint Against GAL If Your Case is Open

If you have serious concerns about a guardian ad litem (GAL) and are a party to an open family matters or child protection case (the Rules for GALs also apply to probate court proceedings when a GAL is appointed) there are two ways to make a complaint.

  • You (or your attorney if you have one) can file a Motion to Remove the GAL under 4 M.R.S. § 1557(4) and M.R.G.A.L. 6.  The decision to remove a GAL under these circumstances is in most instances within the sole discretion of the judicial officer (magistrate or judge). A judicial officer must remove a GAL if he or she has been suspended or removed from the Roster, convicted of a "serious crime" or substantiated for abuse or neglect of a child by the Maine Department of Health and Human Services (M.R.G.A.L. 6(c)).
  • You (or your attorney) can file a complaint (M.R.G.A.L. 9(d)) with the Guardian ad Litem Review Board. The complaint form, and directions on how to file a complaint with the Guardian ad Litem Review Board can be found here.

Complaint Against a GAL If Your Case Is Closed

If your case is closed, you can still file a complaint with the Guardian ad Litem Review Board if it is less than six years since the act complained of occurred (M.R.G.A.L. 9(c)).