Divorces when minor children are involved is very different from divorces that do not involve children.

Choose the option that applies to your situation.

Courthouse Assistance Projects
If you have a low income and cannot afford a lawyer, a volunteer may be able to help you fill out court forms, learn about "service" of forms, calculate child support, and answer some of your questions.


In Maine, mediation is required in contested domestic relations matters--for example, divorce or unmarried parents seeking custody. Before a hearing is held, a judge or Family Law Magistrate will order the parties to schedule a mediation with the clerk. The clerk will schedule the mediation and send a notice. If parties request a certain mediator, the clerk will try to accommodate that request when possible. The parties can reject or "veto" the assignment of a particular mediator. Mediation is held at the courthouse during business hours (8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.), unless special permission is granted in unusual circumstances.