IF YOU ARE IN IMMEDIATE DANGER CALL 9-1-1. The Maine Department of Health and Humans Services maintains a list of resources for victims available at this link http://www.maine.gov/dhhs/phone1.htm
Maine law enables victims of domestic or dating abuse, sexual assault, stalking or or other forms of harassment to obtain both short-term emergency protection and, after hearing, long-term protection. These laws also enable persons accused of abuse, sexual assault, stalking or or other forms of harassment to defend themselves, and to ask the court to modify (change) or vacate (terminate) any order against them.
There are two types of laws that govern protection orders:
- Protection from abuse (PA) laws protect individuals and/or their children form abuse by a family or household member. The laws governing these cases are in Title 19-A, section 4001 through section 4011 .
- Protection from harassment (PH) laws protect individuals and/or their children and businesses from harassment by an individual the person you are seeking protection from does not have to be a family or household member. The laws governing these cases are in Title 5, sections 4651 through 4660-A.
The procedures for PA and PH cases differ in some important respects, although many procedures apply to both. These procedures should be used only when court intervention is necessary to protect a person or property from real harm. The Judicial Branch publishes a "Guide to Protection from Abuse and Harassment Actions," which explains in more detail the similarities and differences between PA and PH cases, and also provides more detailed information on the court forms and procedures used in these cases. This guide can be downloaded here: http://www.courts.state.me.us/citizen_info/help.html.
For more information please see:
- A Guide to Protection form Abuse and Harassment
- Adult Protective Services provides or arranges for services to protect incapacitated and dependent adults (age 18 and over) in danger of abuse, neglect or exploitation.
- Maine Department of Health and Human Services' Adult Protective Hot Line at 1-800-624-8404.
- Child Protective Cases
- Protection from Abuse: How the Law Works in Maine Pine Tree Legal
- Protection from Harassment Pine Tree Legal