Grievance Procedure for Disability Accommodation

If you asked for an accommodation from the court system for a disability, and you do not think the decision followed the Judicial Branch Policy On Access For People With Disabilities, you can have someone else review the decision.  

Your request for a review is called a grievance. What you need to do depends on whether the decision was made by:

  1. a judicial officer (a Justice, a Judge, or a Magistrate), or
  2. a judicial branch employee who is not a judicial officer.

Decisions made by Judicial Officers

To seek a review of an accommodation decision by a judicial officer, you must submit an appeal of that decision in accordance with the Maine Rules of Civil or Criminal procedure. You must include a copy of the actual decision, judgment, or order that you want to have reviewed. If you have an attorney, that attorney can help you request the review.

Decisions made by Judicial Branch Employees Who Are Not Judicial Officers

To seek a review of an accommodation decision by a court employee who is not a judicial officer, you should submit your grievance in writing.

Please use the Grievance Form for Disability Accommodation. In your grievance, preferably on the grievance form, you should explain in writing:

  1. what the decision was,
  2. the date the decision was made,
  3. the person who made the decision, and
  4. why you think the decision was wrong.

You must send your grievance to the Court Access Coordinator at the Administrative Office of the Courts, P.O. Box 4820, Portland, ME 04112–4820, or you can email it to:

If you are not able to follow the grievance procedure due to a disability, please contact the Maine Court Access Coordinator at 207-822-0718.

IMPORTANT: The Judicial Branch must receive the grievance within 21 calendar days after the decision.

The Court Access Coordinator will review your grievance and issue a decision within 28 days after you filed the grievance, unless the review cannot be completed within that time.

If the Court Access Coordinator made the decision you are grieving, the State Court Administrator will conduct the review and issue a decision within 42 days after you filed the grievance, unless the review cannot be completed within that time.

After review, if it is decided that you are entitled to a disability accommodation, the Court Access Coordinator will make the necessary arrangements to make the accommodation happen.


The Judicial Branch will make reasonable efforts to keep your grievance and the information in it confidential to the degree necessary to make a full and fair review. If the Judicial Branch is required by law to disclose any of your information, the Judicial Branch must respond to that requirement. 

The Judicial Branch will keep your grievance and other paperwork and materials about your grievance for three years from the date of the final decision.

Other Rights and Remedies

This grievance procedure does not limit any other rights or remedies you may have under the law.

Other Questions or Concerns

The Maine Judicial Branch is committed to full and fair access to the courts. If you have any questions or concerns about this grievance procedure, please contact the Court Access Coordinator.

Court Access Coordinator
Administrative Office of the Courts
PO Box 4820, Portland ME 04112
Phone: (207) 822-0718
TTY: Maine Relay 711
Fax: (207) 776-6096

Rev.  1/8/18