Assistant Clerk Augusta
The Judicial Branch has an immediate full-time opening for an Assistant Clerk within the Kennebec County Courthouse. This is an entry-level clerical position involving extensive contact with the public and legal professionals, in person or by phone. Incumbent must possess knowledge of basic office procedure and various computer software systems, preferably the MS Office Suite.
Examples of duties include:
- Dockets, processes, and files matters before the Court.
- Scheduling pre-trial activities, trials, motions, and other proceedings.
- Handles and processes fines, fees, costs, and other funds paid to or through the Court, also maintains books, ledgers, and accounts.
- Prepares Reports, along with communicating with the public, judges/justice, attorneys and other agencies.
- Operates electronic recording machines and performs duties ancillary to recording, as well as performs duties as requires by the judge/justice.
- Performs various administrative duties.
Minimum Qualifications and Special Requirements to be Considered for the Position:
- High school graduation or equivalent (GED).
- Accurately keyboard or type not less than 45 words per minute.
- Must have accurate attention to detail, and the ability to understand and follow oral and written instruction.
- Two years experience providing customer service and /or clerical work/office administration.
- Skilled in computer software programs, preferably MS Office.
- Ability to interact effectively with the public, supervisors, other court staff, judges/justices, and attorneys in a variety of situations and circumstances while maintaining excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Basic writing, spelling, and grammatical skills.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical functions and accurately receive and distribute funds.
- Ability to understand and follow administrative and clerical procedures governing clerks’ offices, including the Clerk’s Manual, as well as Judicial Branch policies and procedures.
- Ability to understand court procedures, legal documents, laws, and legal factors pertaining to the court system.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive Judicial Branch information.
- Ability to learn detailed computer applications.
- Proficiency in the use and care of office equipment, including typewriters, computers, calculators, copy machines, postage machines, and fax machines, and the ability to learn to use other equipment, such as a TTY, cash drawers, and credit card readers.
Hours, Pay, and Benefits Information:
- Hours: 37.5 hours weekly
- Salary: $12.53 hourly
- The value of the State’s bi-weekly contribution for employee benefits is: Health Insurance $345.58, Dental Insurance $13.69, and Retirement 11.54% of salary.
How to Apply: Complete the application packet that consists of the Application, Applicant Information Survey (EEO), Background Form, that can be found belowby clicking on Application Packet, along with a cover letter and resume, and MAIL or FAX them to:
The Administrative Office of the Courts
Attn: Dawn Rule, Human Resources
P.O. Box 4820
Portland, Maine 04112
Fax (207) 822-0781
Incomplete or untimely applications (resumes & cover letters without the application packet) will not be considered.
Application must be received by MAIL or FAX no later than 11:59 PM on Sunday, February 2, 2015.
The Judicial Branch is an EOE/AA employer.